Article title: The Daily Mile: Teachers’ perspectives of the barriers and facilitators to the delivery of a school-based physical activity intervention.
The Scottish Collaboration for Public Health and Policy (SCPHRP), who are based within the University of Edinburgh, interviewed 8 Local Authority primary schools investigating how teachers deliver The Daily Mile, the perceived benefits and the barriers and facilitators to participation.
- Teachers were positive and enthusiastic about The Daily Mile
- Teachers perceived it to be beneficial to the children’s health and fitness
- Barriers to participation identified were; inadequate all-weather running surfaces and time constraints
- Perceived impact on learning time was identified as a concern to teachers
- Increased teacher-child rapport and perceived enhanced classroom concentration
Read the full article online, published in BMJ Open on 4th February 2019.